Friday, March 27, 2009

Super Tasty Artichoke Heart Sandwich

It's been about 4 years since I've had my favorite sandwich. It was from a cafe in Milwaukee called Comet, where my best friend and I would spend hours and hours doing absolutely nothing. This sandwich, a cranberry-orange juice, and her company were all I needed to make a perfect afternoon.

I've wanted to re-create the sandwich for a long time, but until today I had never tried. It's not that it seemed complicated; I was just worried that it wouldn't be perfect.

But it was! I think the only difference was that I used wheat hoagies instead of white. It was *amazing*.

Please use this as a springboard for other tasty sandwiches. I would have played with the ingredients some, but this was time for replication, not experimentation.

Super Tasty Artichoke Heart Sandwich

hoagie-style bun
1/2 can of artichoke hearts (the cafe served them whole, but I quartered them for easier eating)
mayonnaise
oregano
2 slices provolone cheese
slightly grilled red onion slivers
romaine lettuce (I couldn't remember if the cafe used romaine or spinach - as soon as I tasted it I knew I had chosen correctly)

Toast the bread, add all the ingredients, and toast some more until the cheese is melty. Then stuff it in your face! I didn't remember the cranberry-orange juice accompaniment until just now, and I wish I gotten the stuff to make that also. I felt like I was back in high school in the best way possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am that friend, and it was (and still is) an awesome sandwich, and was a wonderful overall dining experience. I recommend the sandwich with a side of good conversation. Or fries or chips.